Applies to: Exchange 2010
Emails sent from an individual mailbox are saved in “Sent Items” by default. But in case of a shared/group mailbox, it is imperative that emails sent by using that mailbox from address are saved in Shared/Group mailbox sent items folder, so that it can be accessed by all the members using the shared mailbox.
There are three ways to achieve it.
- By modifying the registry key on each computer where shared mailbox is being accessed
- Modifying the sent item saving behaviour from Outlook web app
- Modifying the sent item saving behaviour from Exchange PowerShell.
To enable the automatic movement of emails sent from shared mailbox, a registry value needs to be created in following Key
For outlook 2013
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Preferences
Data Value: 1
For outlook 2010
Data Value: 1
For outlook 2007
Install the hotfix KB970944 and then create the
Data Value: 1
In all versions, close the outlook and reopen to take this change effect.
Method 2 – using outlook web app
To change the sent item saving of a shared mailbox, make sure you have the full mailbox access on the shared mailbox.
- Open your personal mailbox using Outlook Web App.
- Open the shared mailbox by following the steps mentioned below
- Click on your name at the top right of the screen and select “Open other mailbox”
- In Select mailbox, type the name of shared mailbox. A part of the mailbox name can also be entered and CTRL+K can be used to complete the mailbox name.
- Click “Open” to open the shared mailbox
- Check Options ->See all Options at the top right of the screen
- Click on Settings in the left-hand column
- Click Sent Items on the top bar
- The following screen will now appear:
- By default the option is set to “Sender mailbox”. You can change the setting to one of the below options
- Sender mailbox : this will save the items in the personal mailbox.
- From Mailbox : This will save the items in Shared mailbox. Though the option is available but it is reserved for future use.
- Sender and From Mailboxes: This will save items in both personal and shared mailbox.
- Click on Save after changing the option.
- You need to restart outlook to confirm that change is successfully implemented. This can also be confirmed from OWA.
- The advantage of doing this from OWA than creating registry key, is that once done from OWA, it will be changed on all the computer where this shared mailbox is accessed.
Method 3: Using Exchange PowerShell
Set-MailboxSentItemsConfiguration CmdLet can be used to modify the setting of sent items behaviour of Shared mailbox. There are two parameters
Like OWA option, there are two values that can be set
- Sender – this will save the items in the personal mailbox.
- SenderAndFrom – messages are stored in both the Sent Items of the user who sent the message, and the Sent Items of the shared mailbox
- There is an additional value of “From” that is reserved for future use.
To configure the shared mailbox “Test.Shared” so that messages sent as that mailbox are saved in both to the Sent Items folder of the “Test.Shared” mailbox, and the Sent Items folder of the user that actually sent the message.
Set-MailboxSentItemsConfiguration ” Test.Shared ” -SendAsItemsCopiedTo SenderAndFrom
For any queries on this, please feel free to comment.